On the interwebs
Foundation is a family of responsive front-end frameworks that make it easy to design beautiful responsive websites, apps and e-mails that look amazing on any device.
Foundation frameworks are easy to use, powerful, and flexible framework for building prototypes and production code on any kind of device.
Foundation for Sites was our first framework. It provides the tools and resources like a simple yet flexible layout grid, modal boxes, typography, navigation components, and form elements that designers can quickly plug into their products.
Based on Sass, the CSS preprocessor, designers can pick and choose which components they want, write HTML semantically, and control almost every aspect of the framework with a series of built-in variables.
Foundation's is written with the most popular browsers in mind — specifically, mobile devices like smartphones. To that end its grid takes a mobile-first approach. Designers give each layout block a series of instructions depending on screen size. Mobile-first means Foundation's grid assumes the smallest configuration until told otherwise. For example, instructions for medium screens, like tablets, override instructions for smartphones. Likewise, large instructions override medium.
Foundation for Sites is written with humans in mind two ways. First, its components and grid use people-friendly names and instructions. Second, Foundation for Sites includes accessibility options for screen readers. The end result is a framework that helps both designers and end users get up and running quickly because we don't want to waste time reinventing the grid.
Latest Press Mentions
- 03/24/17 ZURB Foundation and Accessibility The folks over at Metroize highlight all the ways Foundation can help you build an A11y friendly website with version 6.
- 03/20/17 Which Responsive Design Framework is Best? The team over at Smashing Magazine put a new head-to-head Battle Royale between Foundation and some other responsive frameworks.
- 02/13/17 Foundation 6.3: What's Coming in 2017 Mark Teekman from Envato spoke with the ZURB Foundation team to find out what 2017 holds for the world's most advanced front-end framework.
- 01/16/17 Our Top 10 Free Tools for Frontend Web Development The team at Envato shared their favorite free tools and Foundation took a top spot.
- 01/11/17 17 Web Design Trends To Watch in 2017 Our Foundation Lead Kevin Ball chatted with the folks at Shopify to make some predictions of web design trends that are going to be big in 2017
- 12/20/16 Foundation 6.3: The World’s Most Advanced Framework Advances Forward Speckboy covers all of the new features and components of the new Foundation 6.3 update.
- 12/05/16 The Big Interview: Kevin Ball and Rafi Benkual talk all things ZURB Ezequiel from Web Designer Depot chatted with Rafi and Kball about ZURB, Foundation for Sites 6.3, and the future of the framework.
- 11/22/16 The Power of Open Source in the Foundation Framework Simon Codrington explores the benefits of making a CSS framework an opensource project in this insightful article by Sitepoint
The Latest Buzz
Golden State Warriors
Foundation makes it easy to build our pages out; with all the available tools. It's easy to get add the CSS or Sass on your page and have it appear as you expect it should. Anytime I can build with Foundation, I do.
ZURB's Foundation framework is easy to use, powerful and provides the flexibility to prototype and build production-ready websites for any device.
Images, Logos, and Screenshots
Foundation for Sites
PMS 639 C
RGB 29 146 207
CMYK 77 30 1 0
Foundation for Emails
RGB 204 118 146
CMYK 18 64 24 0
Foundation for Apps
RGB 63 195 128
CMYK 68 0 68 0
Get in touch with us!
Give him a call at
(408) 341-0600 ext. 623
Email him at