About the job
Needed: a Designer With A Desire to Change the World
You're passionate about design and people. You believe in designing products that have a purpose and aren't just pretty pixels. You want to make the world better for people online.
We're a team of driven product designers, engineers and writers who believe in rapid prototyping, multi-device design and teaching people how to design. We've been around since 1998, creating world-class products that hundreds of millions of people actually use. We believe Design, with a capital "D", can change the world, and we ensure it does. We need your help to build better products that solve problems and meet user needs.
We're looking for someone with a diverse knowledge of product design, everything from solving interaction problems with sketches to layering in visual design to front-end code. We need someone who doesn't shy away from interacting with clients or standing up for their design decisions.
Working closely together with the team, a typical day might consist of sketching for a client project while creating hi-fi wireframes for another or you might brainstorm ideas for one of the apps in our product suite. You'll work closely with Design Leads on presenting your designs to clients. Enjoy lunch with the team in our swank new building then move into front-end code using our responsive framework, Foundation. In between it all, you'll work with the various Design Leads, who will coach you through tough problems and challenge your own assumptions. You'll go home knowing that you accomplished a great deal to create wins for the team, yourself and people online. And you'll have learned new design techniques, processes and skills from the Leads and your fellow ZURBians, which is just one of the many perks of the job.
What You Bring to the Table
As a Designer, we'd like you to have the following experience:
- Strong background in design, User Interaction and Visual Design
- Ability to clearly express yourself both in person and on paper
- Comfortable presenting your work to clients and working with feedback
- Front-end development, such as HTML/CSS
What You'll Be Doing
- Interaction Design: wireframing, flow
- Visual Design: creating layouts and hierarchy, illustrations and compelling visual design elements
- Front-End development: coding using our responsive framework, Foundation
- Design Strategy: conducting user research, user interviews and creating user stories
- Working directly with clients and Leads on projects
- Writing client emails
- Hopping on client calls and being comfortable with explaining your design decisions
- Holding work sessions off-site
- Working on internal projects, such as Expo, our product suite and ZURB.com
A Little More About Us
ZURB is a close-knit team based in Campbell, CA. We've been alive since 1998 (that's 91 in dog years), have helped more than 200 startups to design some kick-ass online products and created 14 products of our own. Our customers range from large, well-known companies (Netfilx, Salesforce, Zazzle, Facebook, Yahoo, and the New York Stock Exchange) to brand-new start-ups just finding their feet (Qik, Trap.it). They all came to us because of our reputation for delivering killer ideas that work.
Are You In?
If you'd like to be the next ZURBian to join the team, shoot us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and be sure to include the following:
- A catchy subject line
- Your top 3 skills
- Your best teamwork tactic
- Why you want to work at ZURB
- Your URL
- Your resume
Why work at ZURB?
- We believe in Design with a capital ‘D’.
- We're good at solving problems, designing interfaces, structuring code and writing—but we know it's not enough to build great products, services and websites. It's our culture that makes our work great.
- We have a passion to help change the world for our customers and our clients.