Podcast of Bill Scott's Talk: Behind the scenes of Netflix's UI

wrote this on in , . Share this Post

Bill Scott

We all had an amazing time at the ZURBsoapbox with Bill Scott last Friday. Bill started the discussion off by mentioning that all interfaces are made up of hundreds of "interesting moments"— minute interactions which make or break the user experience. He went on to show us many examples and takeaways of interface problems he's seen over the years.

Bill Scott's Soapbox Summary and Podcast

Screen shot 2016 08 15 at 4.40.25 pm
Transforming the Lives of Adults With Disabilities Through 24 Hours of Design
Zurbwired2016 zurbwired
#ZURBWired 2016: We Are Live!
Nick
Every Day Is A Great Hair Day for Our New Video Producer

Jeremy (ZURB) says

The cool thing about the perspective you get listening to Bill is that great experience is the sum of all parts at play on a site. You really have to hone your craft as an interface and interaction designer to make things delightful and help people use them right.

It's easy to overlook the details, but at the end of the day they matter a lot to people even if they pass them by in the fraction of a second.

Greg (ZURB) says

Its great to hear that Netflix is actually monitoring what their customers are doing and making changes accordingly. So many times we see websites that are designed to look nice or provide a service, but the things they are doing are getting in the way of what a user actually wants to do when they come to the site. "Get this out of the way and let me do what I came to do" is a thought that often goes through my mind when I visit sites. Let's not distract our users from what they are really there to do.

Jason Spencer (ZURB) says

I absolutely loved this. I wanted to chat with Bill about the demise of (and what can be done to resurrect) the Yahoo! Teachers site, but I didn't get the chance. Maybe that's another Soapbox for another day.

I hope that more design teams start using the "less is more" notion. There is certainly room for graphics and design, but the right balance is a key principle of Instructional Design. Everyday, I apply ID theory to web sites and print materials -- what's the logic behind the design, and does it fit a measurable goal and the intended audience?

Thanks to all for a great session, and I look forward to seeing ZURBians at the next one!

Bryan (ZURB) says

Thanks Jason. We appreciate the support for these events.

seanrox (ZURB) says

Listening to the podcast right now... topically, this past week, my 65yr old, non-technical mother came to visit and help me with my son and learned how to use NetFlix as her FIRST WEB EXPERIENCE! (btw, she doesn't even know what a Google may be.)

Kudos, Netflix could very well be the killer app for non-technical future users. Further, my mother couldn't find her way around Hulu -- but, of course, neither can I. :)

Keep up the good work. peace- seanrox

Dmitry (ZURB) says

Thanks for the comment Sean! As I mentioned in the podcast my 83 year old grandmother used Netflix a few times as her first web experience. That interaction of finding and picking a movie is killer! They really nail it. Thanks for keeping in touch Sean.

BTW - We have a great soapbox coming up this Friday with LukeW: http://bit.ly/agMhwg